Water and electricity do not mix

Water is a conductor of electricity so when put together they are a very dangerous combination.

Remembering some of these tips when using electricity:

  • Keep water away from appliances.
  • Always dry your hands before touching appliances, power points or switches.
  • If liquid spills into an electrical appliance, tell an adult who can then unplug it and have it checked by an electrician.

An electrical fire can start from a faulty wire, melted insulators or from electrical appliances overheating.

NEVER put water on an electrical fire! Let an adult know what has happened and they will use a fire blanket or fire extinguisher to put out the fire.

Safety devices

A Residual Current Device (RCD) is a safety switch that helps protect you and your family from electrocution.

  • Electricity flowing into a circuit must equal the electricity flowing out of the circuit. If there is a difference it will disconnect the circuit in your home.

  • RCDs can be found in your meter box, on certain power points and on portable power boards and extension leads.

  • When an RCD detects a problem with your power supply, it switches the power off within 10 to 50 milliseconds to prevent electric shock. This is faster than the time it takes to blink your eyelid!

It is law in Western Australian that all new homes and rental house have at least two RCDs installed. For more information visit www.energysafety.wa.gov.au/RCD